"What Lies Beneath" is the sixteenth episode of Season Two of Fox's Sleepy Hollow. It was written by Damian Kindler & Phillip Iscove and directed by Dwight Little. It is the twenty-ninth episode of the series overall, and debuted on February 9, 2015.
Ichabod and Abbie investigate the disappearance of three workers and learn that they were abducted by Reavers, a secret unit that were assigned by Thomas Jefferson to guard the Fenestella. When they venture inside the hatch, they are forced to make a hasty retreat when confronted by a huge number of Reavers, and decide to return with more firepower. Meanwhile, Irving convinces Jenny to help him break into a police lockup, but when he takes evidence from the Hellfire club, Jenny confronts him. He tells her about what happened to him after he was resurrected, and of his desire to help his family before it's too late. Now at the Fenestella, Ichabod and Abbie encounter a holographic Thomas Jefferson (Steven Weber) that explains the purpose of the Fenestella to them both, and of the role it can play helping them as witnesses. But when he tells them that they can't save the men without sacrificing the Fenestella, Abbie responds that the lives of the men are more important. They both venture into the Reavers lair and rescue the men, but when the Reavers awaken they are forced to make a hasty retreat. Ichabod decides to venture back inside to destroy the Fenestella's power source and convinces Jefferson to help him. Meanwhile, Henry appears to Katrina in a dream, but Katrina wonders if it really happened.
- This episode was initially titled as Cube 3 which refers to the supernatural power source being used to power the secret underground vault. The official and finalized title "What Lies Beneath" curiously refers to both the monsterous Reavers and the Fenestella.
- In Japan, this episode is known as The Hidden Subterranean Tunnel (隠された地下道 Kakusareta Chikadou) and it alludes to everything underground as well as to the original US title of "What Lies Beneath."
Behind the ScenesEdit
- Sharif Atkins appears in this episode. His brother is one of the construction workers trapped in the tunnels. One of the other construction workers is named Pete Burke. Atkins starred in White Collar, whose main character was named Peter Burke.
- One of the three members of the excavating team, mauled and eaten by hungry Reavers
- Several Reavers either shot by Ichabod and Abbie or part of the casualties in the ensuing explosion of the Fenestella