"The Sin Eater"
|Season 1, Episode 6|
|Air date||November 4, 2013|
|Written by||Alex Kurtzman & Mark Goffman (Teleplay), Aaron Rahsaan Thomas (Story)|
|Directed by||Ken Olin|
|Next||"The Midnight Ride"|
When Ichabod goes missing, his wife, Katrina, contacts Abbie in a vision, forewarning of the evil to return to Sleepy Hollow by nightfall. Abbie seeks help from the mysterious Henry Parish, who holds vital clues on how to vanquish Crane's blood tie to the Headless Horseman. Meanwhile, an encounter from Crane's past weighs heavily on him.
Abbie is pulled into a vision with the Headless Horseman pursuing her through an abandoned house. She finally enters a room with witches casting a spell, and is confronted by Katrina. Katrina informs her that someone has abducted Ichabod, and that by finding "The Sin Eater", Ichabod can be sanctified of his sins, which will separate him from the Horseman. Abbie snaps out of the vision and barely escapes hitting an oncoming tanker truck. Abbie tells Irving of Ichabod's abduction, and Katrina's vision about the Sin Eater. Irving approaches it with skepticism.
Meanwhile, Ichabod awakens to find himself in a room with several men in possession of a book, supposedly an accounting of Ichabod's life. They want to verify that Ichabod is real and isn't a demon in disguise. They have Ichabod retell a story from his past about Arthur Bernard, a recently freed slave who was interrogated by the Redcoats.
- Tom Mison as Ichabod Crane
- Nicole Beharie as Abbie Mills
- Orlando Jones as Captain Frank Irving
- Katia Winter as Katrina Crane
- Lyndie Greenwood as Jenny Mills
- James Frain as Rutledge
- Tongayi Chirisa as Arthur Bernard
- Craig Parker -as- Colonel Tarleton
- John Noble -as- Henry Parrish
- Richard Cetrone as Headless Horseman (Weapons)
- Alex Collins as Thomasson
- Tim Holt as Redcoat
- Jackson Beals as Mason Guard
- Parker Chapin as Crying Boy
- In Japan, this episode is known as The Freemason and his Sin [フリーメイソンと罪 Furīmeison to Tsumi].
- Ichabod Crane