|Alias:||Katrina Van Tassel|
|Profession:||Leader of Sisterhood of the Radiant Heart (formerly)|
|Allies:||Sisterhood of the Radiant Heart (formerly), Ichabod Crane, Abbie Mills, Alfred Knapp, George Washington, Arthur Bernard, Lachlan Fredericks|
|Enemies:||Serilda, Order of the Blood Moon, Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse, Moloch, Tree Monster, Jeremy Crane (formerly), The Four Who Speak As One|
|Family:|| Ichabod Crane (husband)|
Jeremy Crane (son)
|Portrayed by:||Katia Winter|
During the early parts of the Revolutionary War, Katrina was the arranged fiancee of Ichabod's best friend, Abraham Van Brunt. Abraham always bought her splendid gifts such as expensive jewelry. Ichabod however knew her better, and knew what simplicity she liked. It was for this reason that she broke off the engagement to be with him.
During the Revolutionary War, while her husband Ichabod was a captain serving under General George Washington, Katrina was a civilian nurse who worked in triage. After Ichabod faced the Headless Horseman in battle and was about to seemingly lose his life, Katrina, at his side in triage, attempted to alert him of a secret that he must know though it was too late.
Katrina is actually a witch and the leader of the Sisterhood of the Radiant Heart, a coven whose duty it is to prevent the apocalypse. She and her people placed Ichabod into a cave to keep him safe from the Headless Horseman who is actually Death, one of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse. The coven chained the Horseman's body in a coffin and sent it the bottom of the ocean to keep separate from Ichabod, who now shared a blood connection with him. Some time later, Katrina was trapped in Purgatory by Moloch as per his agreement with Death. Death was actually Abraham, and he wanted to win Katrina back as a prize.
It's revealed in "Sanctuary," that Katrina gave birth to a son while in the Fredericks Manor due to the protective hex placed on the household, a child which Ichabod was previously unaware of until Abbie Mills told him about the vision she had seen with Katrina giving birth.
In "The Golem," Ichabod makes contact with Katrina, who reveals to her husband their son's name to be Jeremy. She then reveals it was not Moloch who imprisoned her in Purgatory but actually her own coven, the Sisterhood of the Radiant Heart. When Katrina hid Ichabod in the cave after he beheaded the Horseman, they demanded answers but she fled. She did not realize until after she sealed Ichabod that she was pregnant and sought haven at Fredericks Manor to deliver her child. But she did not want her son to share her life as a fugitive and with a heavy heart left Jeremy with Grace Dixon and her husband, giving him a doll to protect him. Sometime after she gave up Jeremy, her former sister-witches, a group known as the Four who Speak as One caught up with Katrina and imprisoned her in Purgatory.
When Ichabod awoke in 21st century Sleepy Hollow along with the Headless Horseman, Katrina came to him in the form of a bird who opened a door to her other worldly prison for him. Katrina informed him of the secrets she kept and told him of his duty as the First Witness, who must prevent the Horseman from getting his head, reaching full power, summoning his three comrades, and bringing about the end of the world. Before he departs at the arrival of the demon keeping her trapped, Katrina begs Ichabod to release her.
Katrina is freed from Purgatory when Abbie Mills agrees to sacrifice herself and take Katrina's place. They meet up with Henry Parrish, whom Katrina knows as the Sin Eater and go to the place where the Horseman of War is supposed to rise. It is revealed that Henry is really the Cranes' long lost son Jeremy, and that he is in fact the Horseman of War. Katrina and Ichabod are captured and Katrina is taken by Abraham Van Brunt.
Once imprisoned by Abraham, she is told that she will become a servant of Moloch and forever bound to Abraham through a binding ritual. She is also told that it's useless to attempt to escape, as the mansion has a powerful hex around it, suppressing her already weakened powers to the point where they're essentially useless. Katrina convinces Abraham that she will not attempt to flee and to let her come to love him on her own. Desiring her affections of her own free will, Abraham acquiesces.
Katrina uses her time in the mansion to try to gather intelligence about Moloch's plans, although she's caught eavesdropping every time. In "The Weeping Lady", Katrina is attacked by the angry spirit of Ichabod's former betrothed, Mary Wells, and taken from the mansion. She manages to escape using her powers and meets up with Ichabod and Abbie. After learning the situation, Katrina works with Abbie to recite a spell that can drive the darkness from Mary's spirit while Ichabod distracts her. It works, but when Ichabod asks what happened to her, Mary points at Katrina before disappearing.
It is revealed that in Mary's jealousy, she confronted Katrina the night before she was to leave for England, accusing her of stealing Ichabod away and making him betray his country. In her fury, she rushed Katrina, who moved out of the way and Mary tripped over a root, falling over the bridge and onto the river bank below, where she hit her head on a rock and bled to death. Abraham appears and Katrina stops him from killing Ichabod before explaining that he wasn't at fault for her leaving the mansion and returns with him.
In "Deliverance", it is revealed that Katrina has been impregnated by Jeremy with Moloch, who intends to use her as a vessel to be brought to the mortal world. Ichabod and Abbie manage to prevent this by finding a prism that extracts Moloch from her body just in time.
Eventually, Katrina returns to Abraham's mansion, with the intention of finding and killing Moloch. She fails in this mission and Moloch is freed. Abraham commences the binding ritual on her, but is stopped by Ichabod and Abbie before he can complete it. He is taken and chained in the underground prison chamber where he remains while Katrina, Frank Irving, Ichabod, Jenny and Abbie battle the demons released from Purgatory. After Frank is mortally wounded, Katrina attempts to heal him, but cannot due to her powers being weakened by Purgatory's portal being open and he dies. The rest of the group are captured by Jeremy, but are released when he betrays and kills Moloch. Afterwards, Katrina moves into Corbin's cabin with Ichabod and they attempt to repair their relationship.
Katrina appears to be a good and noble woman with a sense of justice and idealistic views of love, in all its forms. She believes love is a gift and has the power to overcome any obstacle. She cares deeply for Ichabod, her son Jeremy and has shown compassion for Abraham Van Brunt. She fought the forces of darkness as the leader of the Sisterhood of the Radiant Heart and continues in the fight to stop Moloch after she is released from Purgatory.
However, while she has a good heart, Katrina tends to let her emotions dictate her actions and often makes snap decisions without thinking of the consequences. She cast a spell to awaken Ichabod in the future knowing of his status as a Witness, but did so without knowing that he would be tied to the Horseman should their blood merge (which it did). She gave up her son Jeremy to human caretakers with only a Golem to protect him and without thinking of the consequences of his dormant magical powers being unleashed and uncontrolled as he grew. She released Abraham from captivity when Orion came to kill him, despite knowing he was the Horseman of Death and having no idea what he would do once free. She also insists that both Abraham and Jeremy can be redeemed and should be forgiven, in spite of all the evil acts both have committed.
Katrina has also been shown to be manipulative and deceitful when it suits her purposes. She withheld her status as a witch and spy from her husband Ichabod (likely in order to protect him) and lied to him about Mary's death and the fact that he had a son. She admits to Abbie that she's manipulating Abraham, using his love for her in order to gain his trust and obtain knowledge of Moloch's plans and rather than tell Ichabod of her plan to return to Abraham's mansion, she gets Abbie to do it for her. She's also used Ichabod's love for her to convince him to see things her way and go along with her plans, something both he and Abbie have criticized her for.
- Katrina met Ichabod when she was a Quaker, and a friend of Arthur Bernard. When Ichabod served in the British army, he was ordered to interrogate and kill Arthur. He attempted to be charming, finding her beautiful, but she was bitter and cold to him.
- She led him to his change of heart to becoming a Patriot under the command of General George Washington. Ichabod was sent with Katrina's friend into the woods to kill him, but set him free. Ichabod's commander revealed himself to be a demon and shot the man, then he wounded Ichabod. Ichabod showed up at Katrina's house, stumbling into her front porch. She helped him in and held his head in her lap as if they were already married.
- Katrina was betrothed to Abraham Van Brunt, but he gave her expensive jewelry and thought she desired money and riches. However, Katrina favored simplicity. Ichabod noticed this, for he knew her better than his best friend Abraham. Katrina confessed her love for him, and broke the engagement. Later, when Abraham told Ichabod she broke the engagement, Ichabod confessed it was out of love for him, asking that he and Katrina receive his blessing. Abraham was angered and demanded a duel, but was shot by the Hessians, and became the Horseman of Death.
- Ichabod and Katrina were soon married. Through the years they were married, Ichabod had no idea Katrina was a witch. She didn't tell him this to protect him from chances of being burnt at the stake with her if she was discovered.
- Ichabod did not know this, but Katrina had been pregnant. After Ichabod died, she fled from her coven to Frederick's Manor to deliver her baby because the house was under a protective hex, which was broken when the baby was born. She had to leave with the child to protect him from harm. It has not been revealed what happened to the baby, but Katrina never told Ichabod. He only found out when Abbie Mills told him when she saw the birth in a vision.
- Katrina cast a spell on a dying Ichabod when the Horseman slashed open his chest, after he cut off the Horseman's head. Because their bloodlines merged, she was able to cast a spell so when the Horseman of Death awoke, so would Ichabod. She buried Ichabod's body in a cave and sunk the Horseman's body in a tomb at the bottom of a river, and he awoke with the Horseman in the 21st century.
- She appears to Ichabod many times throughout the series, most of the time to give him hints or warn him of upcoming events. Katrina gave him the information that the Horseman would be looking for his skull, and he could wake the three other Horsemen with it. She also revealed to him that the Horseman couldn't be around sunlight.
- As of "Paradise Lost", Katrina and Ichabod are estranged, due to the broken trust between them because of Katrina keeping secrets from her husband.
- Katrina had an arranged marriage with Abraham, but because he did not understand her desire for simplicity and because she was in love with Ichabod Crane, she broke the engagement. She and Ichabod required Abraham's blessing, but he was enraged and dueled Ichabod.
- Abraham was killed by the Hessians and made the Horseman of Death. His agreement with Moloch was that if he succeeded, Katrina would be his. When she was burnt for witchcraft, she was stuck in the world between worlds, waiting for Abraham to succeed for her to be freed.
- Katrina said that she never loved him and she never would, and that her heart belonged to Ichabod alone.
After Moloch's defeat Katrina begins researching a method to separate Abraham from Death; having seen his humanity starting resurface. She also admitted she felt somewhat guilty about his predicament; her actions in the past playing a part in his choice to serve Moloch.Ichabod Crane. Jeremy resents his mother and father for abandoning him. Katrina loves Jeremy dearly and refuses to give up hope that he could be redeemed.
Powers and AbilitiesEdit
- Channeling: The act of invoking extra forms of energy by focusing on external forces.
- Spell Casting: The act of changing and controlling events by magical influence.
- Potion Brewing: The act of brewing and concocting supernatural elixirs and potions that contain mystical properties.
- Elemental Control: The act of controlling and manipulating the elemants of air, earth, fire and water.
- Aerokinesis: The act of controlling and manipulating the element of air.
- Geokinesis: The act of controlling and manipulating the element of earth.
- Pyrokinesis: The act of controlling and manipulating the element of fire.
- Hydrokinesis: The act of controlling and manipulating the element of water.
- Telekinesis: The act of controlling and manipulating the movements of objects and persons.
- Necromancy: The act of controlling and manipulating of the dead.
- Telepathy: When in Purgatory, Katrina has the power to communicate with the two witnesses, Ichabod and Abbie, telepathically.
- Photokinesis: Katrina have been seen controlling and manipulating light from her palms to defend herself from Abraham Van Brunt and followers of Moloch.
|Pilot||Blood Moon||For the Triumph of Evil...||The Lesser Key of Solomon||John Doe|
|The Sin Eater||The Midnight Ride||Necromancer||Sanctuary||The Golem|
|The Vessel||The Indispensable Man||Bad Blood|
|This Is War||The Kindred||Root of All Evil||Go Where I Send Thee...||The Weeping Lady|
|And the Abyss Gazes Back||Deliverance||Heartless||Mama||Magnum Opus|
|The Akeda||Paradise Lost||Pittura Infamante|